Tuesday 1 April 2014

TGO 2014 Kit List and Musings

Unfortunately Stuart has had to drop out of the Challenge leaving me to complete it on my own. This is a shame but I must say it doesn't cause undue worry as my previous solo crossing was hugely enjoyable and you do get to meet a whole range of like minded people along the way so you are never truly alone. Training for the challenge is as usual in my case pretty much non-existent - I am one of those who reckons that fitness shall come along the way and happy to cut short a day if knackered or to keep going if still fresh even if I have reached the planned end of the day.

Below is my planned kit list. I am not an ultralight fanatic but try to keep my pack under 40 litres if I can. Once my initial food supply is used up I try to buy en-route and this is my strategy once again this year. A lot of highland village shops struggle to make a profit so I like to think that I am helping by emptying their shelves when I travel through - though there is a risk that other challengers get there before me and I don't get a great choice of meal options. We shall see what heppens - Its part of the fun.


Kit List is:
Boots or Shoes - Probably Innov8 Roclite 315s but I might stick with my Alt-Berg Tetheras
hat
gloves
Pants
socks x2
crocs
Base Layer;- Top only
Mid (fleece)
Down Jacket
Waterproof jacket
waterproof trousers - Berghaus with long side ZipGaiters

Compass
Maps- These are Print outs of route from Routebuddy; I don't carry full maps - others think this daft but it works for me
IPhone
Charger - battery powered
Camera
Kindle
Spare AA batteries - Lithium


Meals
Dehydrated main meals for 1st 4 days thereafter whatever I can pick up
Stoats Bars for Breakfast
Chocolate for snacks
Powdered Coffee Sachets / Teabags - liberated from Hotels usually

Wallet
Cash
Credit card

Tent - Vango Helium 100
Sleeping bag
Gas
Flash boil stove
Titanium Spoon
Crocs
Pills
Plasters
Water bottle
Head torch
Head over scarf
Toothbrush /paste
Travel Towel
Walking Poles
Bog roll and lighter plus bio degradeable wet wipes
Toilet Trowel
shampoo

No comments:

Post a Comment