Tuesday 10 June 2014

White Mounth Munros; A Circular around Lochnagar – Saturday 7 June 14

Setting out from home at 0700 I was at the Spitall of Glen Muick an hour later having passed a surprising number of campers – both tented and in vans on the road in. The road from Ballater is narrow so I progressed the last few miles at a leisurely pace just in case anyone was coming in the opposite direction. Parking at the Spitall car park at around 0815 I paid the £3 charge (levied for footpath maintenance) and set of across the river Muick towards the Lodge on the other side of the flood plain and then followed the Allt na giubhsach towards Lochnagar.

Despite the bright sunshine there was a chill wind blowing along the valley and for once I put on my Paramo Smock whilst still climbing uphill. Last time I was here I had been in a T-Shirt all day and desperately thirsty for most of the day. Today I had plenty of water all day and all the streams I crossed could provide ice cold water to replenish my bottles. The path up to the col separating Lochnagar and Meikle Pap is obvious and was easily ascended. I did consider a quick run up Meikle Pap but in the end decided to leave something for next time – perhaps to combine with a visit to Conachcraig.

I believe the first part of the ascent to the top of Lochnagar is called ‘the ladder’, the ‘staircase’ might be more suitable as form the col below Meikle Pap there are rocky steps that are easy to follow. With an obvious and cairn marked path from the top of ‘the ladder’ to the main peak – Cac Carn Beag. Following the cairns I was reminded of the debate regarding their impact on the landscape – with many people getting agitated by their presence but to be frank I consider these to be amongst the least intrusive evidence of man on the tops with footpaths these days making navigation easy; Landover and bulldozer tracks everywhere and my least favourite – Wind Turbines being the greatest despoilers of the mountain landscape.

 

 

The walk across the top of the 1st 2 Munros – Cac Carn Beag and Carn a Choire Bhodeach was straightforward with clear views all-round – despite hazy conditions ruining my photographs. I had been on these 2 before and decided to have my lunch of 2 cheese rolls on Carn a Choire Bhodeach though I ate whilst walking – the stiff cold wind deciding me against a leisurely lunch.

Following the stalkers path across Allt an Dubh Loch I managed to keep my feet dry on the stream crossings and nearly skewered a frog with my walking poles – seeing him only at the last minute and keeping the pole in the air. So for he had been the only wildlife I had spotted though I would see quite a few Hares from here onwards. Having kept my feet dry crossing the stream I managed to soak them by taking the direct route to the top of Carn an Sagairt Mor. I have been meaning to visit this hill for some time and to take a look at the remains of the RAF Canberra Bomber that crashed here in November 1956. I found the remains of the engines and some aluminium but couldn’t spot the remaining large wing section that is still on the mountain (as far as I know) so shall have to visit again. If passing this way then spare a thought for the 2 young men (Flying Officer Redman and Flying Officer Mansell) who died here and please do not remove parts of the aircraft as souvenirs.

 

 

Canberra wreckage and well worn tracks on Carn an Sagairt Mor

 

Heading almost directly south from the summit one quickly crosses the path from Lochcallater Lodge to Lochnagar and it’s a couple of km to the 4th Munro of the day Cairn Bannoch. Navigation even in poor weather ought to be easy as there is a clear path between the 2 Munros but be careful not to stray south onto Fafernie or you’ll end up in Glen Doll rather than back at the car park. There is a path right over the top of Cairn Bannoch where you get excellent views back to Lochnagar.

Loch Muick from Track off Broad Cairn.

 

View Behind on descent

There is a clear path from Cairn Bannoch to the rocky summit of Broad Cairn. Look right and there are good views across to Glen Doll and Dreish and Mayar as well as Tolmount. As I arrived at the summit of Broad Cairn the view to Loch Muick opened up as did the view to the wide bulldozed track that was the route off the hill once I was clear of the not very extensive summit boulder field.

From Broad Cairn to the Spittall car park is 8km but it is impossible to get lot as one follows a wide bulldozed track pretty much all the way. I stopped at about 700 metres to remove my jacket as the wind was lesser now and the sun was hot. Where I stopped I picked up litter that had been left – a 1litre cherryade bottle – before carrying on. With good views over Loch Muick the walk was pleasant enough and there were 2 big herds of Red Deer watching as I descended to arrive back at the car at 1615.

 

Broad Cairn – 8k to Car Park

29km; 1280 m ascent

 

No comments:

Post a Comment