Wednesday 12 November 2014

TGO Challenge 2015 - I got in

It was with delight that I opened my mail yesterday to find that I had been offered a place on the 2015 TGO challenge – particularly after having had to pull out injured in 2014 (which I promise to write about once the disappointment has subsided!). This year my knee gave up on me but as can be seen from other posts here I have been out on the hills since and have had some good days out – though less under canvas than planned – though Bob Cartwright’s latest series of podcasts (see http://www.theoutdoorsstation.co.uk/) ought to provide some inspiration to get out for a few more nights in the next couple of months). Still that’s enough about 2014. Thinking ahead to 2015 its great to see some old friends are also on the challenge so looking forward to seeing Carl Mynott and Andy Howell at some point along the route.

Thinking of routes – this is an easy one. Work commitments will mean a ½ day on the 1st Friday starting out from Shiel Bridge and with a short day putting me close to Sgurr na Sgine provided snow is not an issue. Day 2 should take me over Sgurr na Sgine and Sgurr a’ Bhac Chaolais and then to camp out of the wind for a shortish warm up day. From here it will be over the South GlenShiel ridge to Ft Augustus then the Corrieyarack pass to Kingussie before going into Glen Feshie to reach Braemar . After Braemar it will be to Loch Callater to Jock’s road and on to Tarfside via Glen Clova. Plenty of folk make a dash for Montrose direct from Tarfside but I plan a much more scenic finish (provided there are no more bulldozed tracks for windfarms and ‘sports’ shooting) via Mount Battock to the Fetteresso forest to finally finish at Dunottar castle. Total distance will be around 290 km and ascent should be around 11 427m.

I am not a ‘kit wallah’ but for anyone interested my tent shall be a Mini-Peak 2 with an ookworks groundsheet. Pack is an Osprey 50 litre job and bed will be a Thermarest long. Cooking will be done with a Jetboil Flash.

No comments:

Post a Comment